Saturday, March 29, 2014

Travelogue: New York, Life watching and Awkward Gazes

I have found that travelling to the same place twice always brings about a different perspective because you notice things that were once unseen to your mortal eye. This past week, going to New York I decided not to engage in shopping activities (understatement of the year) but rather artistic endeavours. Mainly staring at artwork, people and sentences in books.

Please note that this will be a three part series of posts based off three of my favourite things.

Food. Art. Books. 

Chapter 1: The vegetarian chronicles.

Being a faux vegetarian (I occasionally eat fish and other pescatarian-like foods), one of my favourite restaurants of all time is Pure Food and Wine, a vegan restaurant around Union Square off of Irving and 54th Street. In a nutshell-like description, the food is raw, organic, gluten and dairy free, fresh and leaves the feel good feeling of full but not too full. And by raw I mean that nothing is actually cooked.


So, lasagna, a full bowl of salad and sushi.


Lasagna without cheese or meat. Questionable but actually yummy.

For non-vegan "pure" food appreciators, I imagine this must be hard to stomach. But really though, the cheese and meat is instead replaced by hummus, zucchini, tomato paste and non-cheesy pesto.



Here's why the sushi was the highlight of lunch. The "rice" not actually rice. It was coconut flakes disguised quite artfully with only what I thought was a slightly lighter version of rice. AND absolutely nut free.


Kale, wakame and avacado salad which surprisingly was the largest portion of all.

When I decided to limit my meat intake 5 years ago, one of the edible 'meat-fillers' that I am always looking for is a good falafel. TAIM , a small chain of two restaurants in NY's West-Village and Nolita has been coined "The Best Falafel in New York" , "Tasty Specimens" and "Elating" by Serious Eats, New York and The New Yorker


Besides being extremely yummy, what makes TAIM great is their strictly vegetarian menu coupled with gluten free and freshness.



   Vegetarian love,

   S

No comments :

Post a Comment